This section is designed to help managers fulfill some of the administrative requirements associated with the new hire process and/or promotions and transfers of current administrative employees.
The following processes require advance discussion and/or administrative approval:
- Gaining access to People at Columbia (PAC) or Jobs at Columbia (JAC)
- Creating any new position at the level of officer or support staff, temporary positions and casuals
- Upgrading an existing position
- Obtaining salary approvals and guidelines
- Additional compensation requests
- Replacing positions
- Eliminating positions
- Restructuring staff
- Initiating progressive discipline
- Flexible working arrangements
Appointment Forms and Documents
- Hiring Documents List for Administrative Staff (PDF)
- Labor Accounting Form (PAC) Salary Distribution & Additional Compensation (for use only when PAC cannot be used to process transaction)
- Time Entry Form (for use only when PAC cannot be used to process transaction)
- Overpayment Recovery Form (via Service Now)
- Stop Payment Form (via Service Now)
HR Tool and Links
- HR Manager Toolkit
- Managing Performance
- Managing Benefits
- Time and Attendance
- Requesting a new UNI
- Learning and Development
- Human Resources & Finance Division Forms
Addressing Employee Concerns
The following resources may be helpful for addressing employment related issues:
The Ombuds Office offers a safe place for any member of the Columbia community to discuss workplace issues, interpersonal conflict, academic concerns, bureaucratic runarounds, and many other problems. Discussions are kept confidential, and the office is not a part of any formal University process. No sides are taken in disputes and the office operates independently of the Columbia administration, reporting only to the president.
The Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (EOAA) has overall responsibility for the management of the University’s Student Policies and Procedures on Discrimination and Harassment and the Employment Policies and Procedures on Discrimination and Harassment.
In the Human Resources Policy Manual there is a section that comprises employee concerns that includes direction and guidance for Employee and Labor Relations, Performance Management and Appraisal, Probationary Period, Probationary Performance Evaluation, Grievance Procedure and Discipline. Click on any of the above links for more information or contact Tanique Dunkley at email@example.com or (212) 854-9844, or Cheryl Nurse at firstname.lastname@example.org or (212) 854-5430.